Sunday, February 1, 2009

Getting Started

Well, this is my very first blog and was inspired to set this up by a lady who has a website called Elderstoryteller or something like that. I posted a small story on there and she wanted to know where I blogged. Feeling somewhat computer challenged anyway, I thought that I'd just do some diggin' and find out what this is all about......so..........

Google to the rescue!! taaDaa! Here I am, with many thanks to Ronni Bennett, the lady mentioned above!

I've noticed in the past that my writing skills have improved whenever I get on a writing kick and actually put my butt in a chair and write. Duh! Makes sense to me.

That last line is not mine.....I, once again, have to give the credit to a wonderful vo-tech creative writing teacher that I met about a year ago, who gave it to the class. She said simply that if you want to write, you have to just sit your butt in a chair and write--simple as that. I did so for about the length of the class and maybe a little longer until other things in my life overlapped my writing time and my interest waned. Of course when that happens, one looks at the clock, then the calendar, and then a month, or two, or six has gone by and no writing. Uh, oh!! All to do over again!

Maybe, I hope, that doing it on a computer instead of a spiral notebook, and having a blog to be responsible to, will inspire me to keep it up.

I made the statement in that creative writing class I took a year or so ago, that I wanted to write a novel. Skip the short stories, magazine articles, and all that and get right to the novel. Surely fortune and fame would await me......I could see it all: Me hosting book signings, being overwhelmed with speaking engagements, my name becoming a household word......I was beginning to feel like the character "Ralphie" in the movie, "A Christmas Story"!

And then, as they say on virtually all the infomercials, "But Wait!"

This novel writing stuff is getting a little harder than I thought. Backdrops, characters, plot, dialogue, suspense, where does it all ever end? Not to mention the fact that I seem to have a bit of difficulty bringing all that and more, together! Thank God there are more styles of writing than just doing novels!

Oh, well, maybe someday when I'm old.....

But in the meantime, there are blogs!! Yea!!!

So maybe, as the very honorable H. Bogart said to Claude Rains in "CasaBlanca", just maybe,
"this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Sure hope so!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great beginning, longtallokie. I'm so pleased to have been an inspiration to you. You're a terrific storyteller and I'm looking forward to much more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Mr. Okie! Ronni spilled the beans, I googled, and found you!

    Be glad to add you to my sidebar, sir, if that's okay?

    Been a blogger myself for several years, and I don't mind helping a fellow newbie whenever I can.

    Looking forward to seeing how a Long Tall Okie views the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks to both Ronni and Cowtown Pattie for y'all's nice comments.

    And, yes, Pattie you may most certainly add me to your sidebar, frontbar, backbar, or neighborhood bar!! LOL! I read your profile and if I may get an e-addy from you, I'll tell you what little I know about bajaOklahoma! (Texas--many fond memories of that state!)

    Later, I hope, to both of you..

    Chester Baldwin

    ReplyDelete